“A Muslim is not stung from the same hole twice”
- Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him
This saying of our beloved Prophet (PBUH) means that Muslims should learn from their experiences to avoid repeating mistakes.
However, sometimes people have urges that make them do harmful things over and over again. Even if people realize that these actions are bad for them and they don't want to repeat those actions again, they are not able to stop because they have an addiction.
An addiction is a powerful, destructive habit that consists of a love-hate relationship with something such as pornography, alcohol, drugs, or in the case of a Muslim, any haram (forbidden) act. A person's brain justifies this behavior because engaging in it changes the person's mood.
Addictive behavior weakens a Muslim's willpower and iman (faith), two things a Muslim relies on to get out of a bad situation. Giving in to harmful urges causes a Muslim brother or sister to experience shame and pain. A part of them wants to quit, and another part of them doesn't. To make matters worse, addictions change people's overall behaviors and personalities, which negatively affects their relationships and results in family problems, loneliness, and more pain.
Many good Muslims struggle with these issues, regardless of their nationality, gender, age, and social status. Alhamdulillah (All praise to God), many people are successful in recovering from their addictions. However, starting and maintaining this process of change can be quite challenging. This is when the encouragement, support, and expertise of an addiction counselor can help. An addiction counselor can not only make the process of recovery easier, but also make it a pleasurable experience. A Muslim addiction counselor can help other Muslims through this process so that they can avoid being stuck in an endless cycle of addiction.
What to expect in Addiction Counseling
- Your counselor will work with you to support the part of you that wants to change as you build internal and external resources that will help you maintain sobriety.
- Likely, you have been involved with this problem for a long period, It will take time for you to get a handle on things, but remember, "Surely, Allah is with the patient."
- You will explore your addiction and its impact on you and your family and come up with practical steps to break free from your addiction.
- You will gain an understanding of the rituals, thoughts, and challenges that keep pulling you back into the addictive cycle. You will work with your counselor to break that cycle, with the understanding that it's a lifetime commitment to recovery.
- You will be expected to take action. Talking about and understanding the problem is important, but it must be accompanied by actions that only you can take.
- Your counselor will help you write a personalized recovery plan to help you take action and you will be held accountable to your plan.
- You will use tools like dua (prayer), journaling, the wisdom of our Prophet (PBUH), Islamic practices, recovery manuals, and the stories and experiences of other addicts to help you on your journey. You will be encouraged to adopt a lifelong holistic approach to recovery from your addiction, which means you will focus on all areas of your life to help you with recovery.
- You will be encouraged to make a 3-month commitment with your counselor, as a minimum, in order to give the process a chance to work.
- As you will work on making changes towards recovery, you and your counselor will remember that ultimately healing is with Allah (God).
3 Month Group Pornography Recovery Program
* Note : we aren't currently running the group pornography program
There are many Muslims who struggle with pornography addiction who want freedom from this sickness for themselves and their brothers. What better way to recover then to combine brotherhood, group support and Islamic principles? The difference between IOU's group pornography recovery program, and the individual addiction counseling program is: it's less in cost. It's a group environment instead of one on one.You get the benefit of connecting with others who understand exactly what you're going through and you hear about the experience of brothers who are on different levels of their pornography addiction.You get to hear what's working with others as well as their challenges. And you get to voluntarily share your phone/Skype number with others in the group so that you can call them for support when you feel urges. This will help you buildlifelong recovery friendships (only if you want).
What's the Methodology?
- 1. It's open to any Muslim who takes the Qu'ran as the word of Allah, The Prophet Muhammad (May Peace Be Upon Him) as His messenger and servant and the Companions as the conveyors of the truth (whom Allah is pleased with).
- We will use life coaching, counseling, Islamic principles, and other resources with the goal of teaching attendees how to live porn free and develop themselves in a group environment.
- 3. You will be expected to purchase the Book “The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to Coping with the Grief, Stress and Anger that Trigger Addictive Behaviors" (Aug 1, 2012) by Rebecca E. Williams and Julie S. Kraft MA” in your choice of format whether book, kindle app or digital download. Here is the link
- You will be expected to purchase a journal.
- We will have topics to discuss and you will be expected to participate in the discussions.
- It will be a non-judgmental environment that everyone will be expected to be respectful in and display Islamic mannerisms.
- The group sessions will be private, and only for paying members. Sessions will be held using IOU's online virtual meeting system.
AVAILABLE SERVICES UNDER ADDICTION COUNSELLING
You can choose from our services according to your preference.
1. Elementary Counseling
- Package consisting of 3 emails and one Skype call of 40 minutes duration, OR
- Package consisting of 2 skype calls of 40 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 2 chat sessions (typing) of 40 minutes duration each
2. Regular Counseling
- Package consisting of 4 emails and one skype call of 40 minutes duration, OR
- Package consisting of 3 Skype calls of 40 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 3 chat sessions (typing) of 40 minutes duration each
3. Intermediate Counseling
- Package consisting of 4 emails and 2 skype calls of 40 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 4 Skype calls of 40 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 4 chat sessions (typing) of 40 minutes duration each
4. Intensive Counseling
- Package consisting of 4 emails and 3 skype calls of 45 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 5 Skype calls of 45 minutes duration each, OR
- Package consisting of 4 chat sessions (typing) of 45 minutes duration each
5. Introductory Session
If you feel uncertain about whether you should take up counseling, you can choose 'introductory session' (Skype call of 45 min duration) from the options below and discuss your reservations with our counselor. There is no obligation to continue. Initiating counseling and remaining in counseling are both voluntary decisions.
6. Group Porn Recovery Program
* Note : we aren't currently running the group pornography program
A Group program taking place on a weekly basis (on wiziq) over a period of 3 months. There will be a topic covered for 10 minutes, a group discussion about the topic, review of journaling exercises and a review of homework from the recommended addiction recovery book. Please click here for more information. You can also voluntarily join a buddy system as part of this program
|Please note: Fees are to be paid according to your country of residence.
|Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")|