The IOU recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Muslim Girls International (MGI), Uganda, seeking to strengthen cooperation between the institutions and make higher education and learning accessible to underprivileged members of Ugandan society, besides contributing to socio-economic development in the country.
Under the agreement, the IOU intends to launch a unique initiative in the region in collaboration with MGI, Uganda, to offer 1000 scholarships that provide access to undergraduate courses worth millions of US dollars to Ugandan students.
As part of the initiative, MGI will:
- Identify 1,000 needy high school graduates in designated cities and states in Uganda
- Assess each candidate individually
- Secure the purchase of reliable tablets for each scholarship student
- Establish IOU learning centers
- Identify charitable body or bodies committed to sponsoring the 1,000 scholarships project
- Manage the logistics including hiring staff, IOU student personnel and tutorial assistants to help run the project
The MoU will stay in effect for a period of five years.